cPanel / WHM: How to redirect sub-addressed (plus addressing) emails to your inbox folder

For a few months now, my inbox has been pretty quiet. I thought that the war on spam is finally over, but then I noticed that my regular cron job emails weren't being received either.

I checked and disabled all my email filters, nothing strange there.

I disabled all my spam checks. Nope nothing there too.

Without many other options, I contacted my web host and they said it seemed fine. I sent various test emails and replied back saying it wasn't working for me on all email addresses on their servers.

Something seemed fishy, but I decided to bypass my usual IMAP method of use and went straight to webmail. Wasn't showing up there either.

The problem

Clicking around on all the options on Roundcube, by chance I stumbled upon an option to select folder subscriptions and noticed a bunch of folders which matched the names of my test emails!

It turns out somewhere along the line, in a "recent" update cPanel decided to redirect all plus-addressed emails to a subfolder matching the name of the sub-address. This was a ridiculously stupid decision as IMAP clients generally don't refresh the subfolder listings until you tell them to. With plus-addressing being a useful tool to determine where spam emails come from, it's a chore to keep refreshing the folders whenever I sign up to a new website.

 Untitledemail filters
Thunderbird and Roundcube both don't automatically subscribe to new folders when accessing your email via IMAP.

What makes it worse is there is no option to disable this default behaviour. They've just proudly written down in the docs as a note under "Email subaddresses" in case you happen to stumble upon it.


The solution

In the docs there are notes about tweaking EXIM (which sounds like it could cause more trouble), but thankfully I managed to find a help page by Ngage Hosting UK which provided a fix for this. I'd take a guess it was a response to customers frequently complaining about not receiving emails...

  • Go to your cPanel setup page
  • Click on Mail > "User-Level Filtering"
  • For each email address, click on "Manage Filters"
  • Click "Create a New Filter"
  • Give it a name (eg. "Sub-address to inbox")
  • Set rule to be "To" > "matches regex" > you\+[a-z0-9] (replace "you" and "" parts)
  • Set action to be "Deliver to Folder"
  • Click the browse button and select "Inbox"
  • Save it and repeat for other email addresses

You'll also have to do this for every domain, so enjoy this tedious process!


Fix Windows 7 getting stuck on "Checking for updates...", high CPU usage or installing updates

So my friend's computer has had issues with getting updates since day 1. I didn't really know why, but at the time a lot of the responses online was to leave it running overnight and hope for the best.

Eventually, my computers became victim to the same issue. For months, Windows Update would get stuck on the "Checking for updates..." or hang when trying to download the updates.

windows updates chcekingwindows update scanning

It also pegs a CPU core to almost 100% usage (or 25% in quad cores and 50% in dual cores) under the process "svchost.exe" while it searches aimlessly, wasting valuable battery life and compute cycles on something that should be sitting quietly in the background.

Note: svchost.exe is used to host many services, but in my case after stopping the "Windows Update" service, the CPU spike stopped. If this isn't the case for you, then you have another problem.

I stumbled upon some information by chance which described the issues. Apparently there were some changes to Windows Updates which fixes these issues, but only made available through optional rollup patches.


Great logic there Microsoft. You've fix your updater but made it optional, so anyone who uses it has to go on a wild goose chase in order to get it working.

These rollup patches come in a form of rollup updates, which basically mean they're a monthly service pack.

Before you continue... Service Pack 1 is required!

Make sure you're on Windows 7 SP1!

Right click on "My Computer" and select Properties. That'll give you the service pack information under "Windows edition".

If you're not on SP1, go to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932), click download and select either:

  • windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe (64 bit)
  • windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe (32 bit)

And depending on how long your updater has been broken for, you'll also need the April 2015 service servicing stack update. For most people this shouldn't be a problem. Only download and install it the fix process complains.

The fix

  • When it's done, disable the Windows Update service from running in the background. This will speed up installation of the update by a great amount.
  • To disable it, find command prompt in the start menu, right click, run as administrator and paste in:

sc stop wuauserv

  • Go to the Update for Windows 7 file and run it
  • Click through the prompts and let it do its thing. After a while, it'll ask you to restart. Hope you've got some time because it takes a while!


Stays on 13% for ages! Worst quality photo, no apologies.

  • Once you're back into Windows, make sure that Windows Updates works by clicking on "Check for updates". It should work much faster (within a few minutes) like it used to!

imageAs you can see, this computer hasn't had a proper update since June...

  • If it shows new updates available quickly then you should be on your way.
  • Install the updates to test it out. Everything should be working perfectly now.


So now you should have gone from a computer which takes about 10 minutes to scan for updates to one that scans within a minute. And now the updates should actually work!



Copyright © Twig's Tech Tips
Theme by BloggerThemes & TopWPThemes Sponsored by iBlogtoBlog